I was just reading Peter Adrian's recent interview on lookbook and one of the question goes like this:
Q: What would you say to someone seeking fashion advice?
A: Wear what makes you feel good, don't wear what you think other's like. If you're not comfortable with your outfit, it'll show. Wear what feels good and what makes you feel good, and overall be confident in your decision.
After reading this, it got me thinking about how in my country,what you put on your back is heavily subjected to the scrutiny by majority of the public. Try putting on looks with neon or bright colour or colourful themes (especially for guys) and going out in public, you will get murderous (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the point) stares from many. There is a perception by most people in my country to follow the norm of the society. Sometimes, even your own friends might judge the way you dress up and give you not-so-friendly/nice comments about your choice of outfit. Therefore, most people would either not care about what they put on their backs, and just put on clothes for the sake of the need to wear clothes, or they dress up like how almost everyone does in this country, to avoid people from staring at them.
However, I beg to differ. I truly believe that a person should wear clothes that are comfortable and to their liking. Fashion is an expression of individuality, so there is no need to dress up to impress others. As long as you are happy with your choice, it doesn't matter what other people might label you (yes, it is very typical of the so-called normal people in my country to judge others and label them by the sort of clothing they wear). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it doesn't mean you need to cater to their taste and liking because in doing so, you are only giving up your own opinion and taste and therefore, your individuality. Of course, what one wears should not be offensive to the cultures of the people in this country.
To sum it up, fashion is all about expression of yourself, so don't be afraid to wear what you want, so long as it is appropriate and not offensive to others.
sometimes I still feel insecure of my choice of outfit even though I am in Melbourne. I am still learning to be more adventurous.
ReplyDelete